Stratigraphic studies at UCR integrate aspects of classic stratigraphy, paleontology sedimentology, geomorphology and computer science to address a range of research questions at locations around the world. Current topics of research include:
- Empirical scaling laws for rates of stratigraphic processes
- Numerical stratigraphy as a tool to quantify gaps and time averaging in the stratigraphic record
- Bio and lithostratigraphy of the Cambrian system throughout the Himalaya towards understanding of the recent uplift and erosional history of the Himalayan mountains
- High-resolution biostratigraphic records of graptolites and conodonts of the Ordovician and Silurian
- Stratigraphic constraint of Neoproterozoic glacial events in Death Valley, Namibia, Australia, and Oman.