The UCR Earth and Planetary Sciences Museum (UCR EPSM) promotes the study, understanding, and appreciation of Earth and its natural history, and that of other planets, through collections, exhibits, and outreach. Particular foci are topics within earth and planetary science that are most relevant to UCR and its community, as well as the research priorities of UCR Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences.
- Discovery: We promote greater scientific knowledge by curating rocks, minerals, and fossils, and by making them accessible to scientists locally and around the world.
- Inspiration: We encourage curiosity and appreciation for earth and planetary sciences through classroom engagement and outreach activities.
- Inclusiveness: We work to make science accessible and relevant to all demographics and to eliminate barriers to participation.
- Quality: We endeavor to operate a museum that consistently meets current professional and ethical standards.
- Endurance: We strive to maintain museum resources and values indefinitely for the benefit of current and future generations.
The UCR EPSM collection was established soon after the founding of the University of California - Riverside in 1959 and maintains more than 120,000 catalogued fossils, rocks, and minerals, in addition to uncatalogued bulk samples.